Official details on Assassin’s Creed Codename Red are still scarce, with Ubisoft so far revealing that the game is set in Feudal Japan and is being developed by Ubisoft Quebec. That said, a few more in-development details provided under anonymity to Insider Gaming reveal that the game could be one of the best yet, especially if you’re a fan of stealth.
Insider Gaming previously reported in February that Codename Red is already in ‘good shape’ and will feature two playable characters. New details provide more insight into the game’s characters though, with sources stating in Codename Red, there’s both a Samurai and Shinobi character. Details on how exactly these characters will be played are limited, but it’s understood that the short teaser officially released by Ubisoft features the game’s female samurai. The other character, the Shinobi, is understood to be an African refugee, who learned the way of the Creed.
One of the more exciting details that we’ve learned though, is that one biggest design focuses of Codename Red is the focus on stealth gameplay. Seemingly, Quebec has decided to take a Splinter Cell-esque or Hitman approach to the title, with things like hiding bodies, hiding in tall grass, extinguishing lights so your shadows are not spotted etc. all being current features.
It’s not entirely clear when Assassin’s Creed Codename Red will be fully revealed, but Insider Gaming understands that the main focus at E3 will be on Mirage’s gameplay premiere and the formal announcement of its VR offering, Assassin’s Creed Nexus.
Assassin’s Creed Codename Red is internally scheduled to release Fall of 2024, but we wouldn’t be surprised if the game sees a 2025 release.
Every Assassin’s Creed Game in Development
- Assassin’s Creed Mirage [Single-player] (production)
- Assassin’s Creed Nexus [VR] (production)
- Assassin’s Creed Codename Jade [Mobile] (production)
- Assassin’s Creed Codename Red [Single-player] (production)
- Assassin’s Creed Codename Hexe [Single-player] (pre-production)
- Assassin’s Creed Codename Invictus [Multiplayer] (pre-production)
- Assassin’s Creed Codename Nebula [Single-player] (concept/prototype)
- Assassin’s Creed Codename Raid [Multiplayer] (concept/prototype)
- Assassin’s Creed Codename Echoes [Multiplayer] (concept/prototype)
- Assassin’s Creed Nexus 2 [VR] (being discussed internally)
For more from Insider Gaming, you can check out more details of Codename Nebula, Raid, and Echoes here.