• Join the Insider Gaming Forums for your chance to win a new PS5 Pro!

First Official Details on the Next Battlefield Game Revealed, Returns to Modern-Day Combat

Tom Henderson

Administrator
Staff member
Vince Zempella has officially revealed the first details of the next Battlefield game, which will be a new 64-player modern-era shooter.

Read the full article here...

battlefield-6.png

Honestly this reads as a big flashy red warning to me, "The pinnacle BF3, BF4.... maybe 1942?" just feels vaccous and the emphasis on "dense maps" really forgets even BF3 post launch had Armored Kill & BF4's maps are much bigger than 2042's 64p only maps (will there even be a Caspian Border sized map? I remember the pre-launch debates of BF3 of main base spawns being tad too close for being a larger vehicle based map).

This really screams "just dumb run and gun combat with a side order of BF mechanics". Just saying "fun" is a big warning sign to me for a Battlefield game. Battlefield "lost" the war against CoD for that kind of audience yet EA execs don't want to admit it.

Vince makes good run and gun games, which is not what I want to hear for a Battlefield game. Just saying "classes" ain't going to cut it for me.

Honestly this reads as a big flashy red warning to me, "The pinnacle BF3, BF4.... maybe 1942?" just feels vaccous and the emphasis on "dense maps" really forgets even BF3 post launch had Armored Kill & BF4's maps are much bigger than 2042's 64p only maps (will there even be a Caspian Border sized map? I remember the pre-launch debates of BF3 of main base spawns being tad too close for being a larger vehicle based map).

This really screams "just dumb run and gun combat with a side order of BF mechanics". Just saying "fun" is a big warning sign to me for a Battlefield game. Battlefield "lost" the war against CoD for that kind of audience yet EA execs don't want to admit it.

Vince makes good run and gun games, which is not what I want to hear for a Battlefield game. Just saying "classes" ain't going to cut it for me.
I think they need to play a bit "safe" at this stage with what they are going to publicly discuss. Honestly, I'm pretty surprised they came out this early, but I think it is a good thing, considering how Battlefield 2042 went down.

I think they need to play a bit "safe" at this stage with what they are going to publicly discuss. Honestly, I'm pretty surprised they came out this early, but I think it is a good thing, considering how Battlefield 2042 went down.
Problem is Halo: Infinite did it "safe" and people went off it. Though one can say weak content post launch was a big part to blame.

Do you know details on that pre-release player testing option? Like through random sample of signed-ups? Did he mean something in that manner?

Do you know details on that pre-release player testing option? Like through random sample of signed-ups? Did he mean something in that manner?
They've gone back on fourth on the specifics and I'm not sure where they landed, but it was more than just a beta or whatever

Beforehand, I really didn't care.. BUT

The fact that Vince Zampella is on the team changes everything for me. I think that that guy knows his stuff. If this BF fails again it would be the first miss in his career.

mark my words, this will suck
IMV won't suck but I can totally see a Halo: Infinite style situation. "Back to Basics" with nostalgia fest. Because a Grand Bazaar remake map with probably faster movement w/ 64 players is going to play like shit.

Honestly they should've just made a BC3 style game if they wanted to do something with "back to basics", but with an "all hands on deck" with crazy commercial expectations is going to probably commercially struggle against the behemoth of GTA VI and the Cultural aspect of annual CoD if that's going to be slotted in.

Do you know of any Frostbite changes/improvements compared to BF2042, or even the latest games from EA as comparison & in particular destruction/gunsmith equivelant ?

This game will save or doom the Battlefield franchise. I think modern combat is great, they just need to make the game as immersive and gritty as BF1 was, and they'll have a hit on their hands

Yeah they really need to invest in fan-service this time.

Back