• Join the Insider Gaming Forums for your chance to win a new PS5 Pro!

Is the PS5 Pro a daylight robbery?

I am not one to tell other people what to do with their money. I think that with what they showed, there isn't a reason for me to get one yet. That could change in the future if they show a first party game that I absolutely have to have. I also want to see how GTA 6 takes advantage of it.

Yeah the price is a bit steep but you’re getting a pretty damn powerful console at that price.

This is how I break it down:
- Upgrading to another 1TB SSD on the current PS5 should cost you $80-$100.
- The performance on this console is outstanding.
- No you cannot get a PC equivalent for this performance at $699. I’d like to be proven wrong with proof.
- Disc-less drive isn’t a game breaker to me anymore. Almost all of my purchases lately have been digital and there’s always sales going on in the PSN store.
- Getting performance like this while sitting comfortable on my couch with my legs kicked up is huge. I don’t want to be forced to sit at a computer desk whenever I wanna game.
- They should’ve included the stand, but it’s only $25 I believe so at least it’s not anything huge.

Would I upgrade my current PS5? Maybe, haven’t decided yet. The breaking point for me is will I be able to recoup at least $350 selling my current one. I currently have a PS5, PC, XSX and a Switch, however, the PS5 gets the most use by far, especially lately (Astro Bot and College Football 25)

There’s an audience for the console and it’ll end up selling great, but I have a feeling the huge selling point for it for people who are on the fence will be GTA VI. It’ll run the best on this console until the PC version releases which is rumored to be 12-18 months after its console version.

PS4 Pro price was just higher for $100 compared to the standard one by the time or reveal in September 2016 and was just $400.

8 years later in September 2024 PS5 Pro price is $700 + BlueRay-Rom ($80) + basement ($20).

We can say that the inflation rate is +100% for 8 years. 🤣🤣🤣

Worst part about it is the lack of a disc drive for $700.

Other than that, it seems like a decent deal for the power you get from it, compared to the equivalent PC components. Otherwise, just stick with the PS5, which is still a powerful console.

I think a lot of people are just mortified by the sticker shock.

Once today dies down, and people take a step back and realize that this is a high-end product, for a very specific subset of PS gamers, maybe the price will make sense.

A showcase or State of Play showing Pro games in action will certainly help, as today's presentation was lacking any of that content.

The price is absurdly high for what gamers are used to/expect (especially outside of the US - 700 USD does NOT equal 700 GBP). But prices are fair for what you're getting, which is the best video game console on the market, the only problem is all the games showcased run perfectly fine on the regular PS5.

Once studios start releasing REAL next-gen games that stand to truly benefit from the PS5 Pro's capabilities (GTA VI?), the PS5 Pro might actually make sense to buy. Until then, it's just an expensive status symbol for people with money to burn, the same people who can afford/see a point in buying a DualSense Edge.

The price is absurdly high for what gamers are used to/expect (especially outside of the US - 700 USD does NOT equal 700 GBP). But prices are fair for what you're getting, which is the best video game console on the market, the only problem is all the games showcased run perfectly fine on the regular PS5.

Once studios start releasing REAL next-gen games that stand to truly benefit from the PS5 Pro's capabilities (GTA VI?), the PS5 Pro might actually make sense to buy. Until then, it's just an expensive status symbol for people with money to burn, the same people who can afford/see a point in buying a DualSense Edge.
Maybe I'm a bit optimistic, but I feel like seeing (in theory) GTAVI running at 4k@60fps will change the narrative here. I could be very wrong though, but it'll be the only console capable of it and we all know that GTAVI is going to set records.

Maybe I'm a bit optimistic, but I feel like seeing (in theory) GTAVI running at 4k@60fps will change the narrative here. I could be very wrong though, but it'll be the only console capable of it and we all know that GTAVI is going to set records.
Enough to make people upgrade though? I think the reveal is worsened by showing mainly PS4 games and no new games for the Pro, it dampens it a bit for me

Back