• Join the Insider Gaming Forums for your chance to win a new PS5 Pro!

Xbox seems desperate with Game Pass

Mike Straw

Senior Editor
Staff member
So, this is mostly based on conversations I've had with people and from my own thoughts, but there's a real sense that Xbox/Microsoft is getting desperate with Game Pass. The platform has stagnated in a major way with subscriptions just not improving the way higher ups have wanted. If Call of Duty doesn't bring in the people, I don't think anything will at this point.

What say you?

Launching all your major exclusives and paying for Game Pass deals for other titles will net players (I know it got me) but like eventually you're going to reach that peak of players.

Couple that with the issue of Microsoft game output slowing down a great deal to the point that they're just not releasing as many high quality AAA games at a pace that fuels the Game-Pass model, nor are they able to keep throwing money at other studios for Game Pass releases of third party titles.

Call of Duty is a band-aid as it will no doubt get people in and keep them engaged (people play CoD all year round), but they're no longer in the running against PlayStation and they're games are not exclusive anymore. They seem to be coming to PlayStation eventually, so why as a PlayStation player would you consider getting a PC or Xbox for Game Pass?

It feels like the model is great for consumers in terms of offering a massive library of games you can access, but it is terrible for Microsoft who basically need to keep it stocked with licenses and keep getting licenses to keep you coming back.

That doesnt make any sense when you consider the price has just gone up (literally yesterday). Surely if they have a problem with numbers the last thing youd want to do was raise the price. Granted the rise is coming into effect just before CoD's release but even then when people are asked to pay more for something they have to see an increase in what was on offer before.

I wouldn't say that Microsoft is desperate, just in a rush/hurry to get Game Pass where they eventually want it to be. Netflix took like 20 years to get to where they're at now. Game Pass has only existed for 7 years and their first party games being day one started in March 2018 with Sea of Thieves. They had a boost in Fall/Late 2021 because they released first party games. They got a boost in 2023 because they released first party games throughout the year. 2022 was basically dead for first party releases and thus, Game Pass stalled in growth. The first half of 2024 was basically Hellblade 2 and that's it. Second half is two niche titles (when it comes to consoles) in Age of Mythology Retold and Flight Simulator 2024 with two other games being PC only (Ara: History Untold and Towerborne being on only Steam via Early Access) and two other bigger games in Call of Duty: Black Ops 6 and Indiana Jones. We'll see if Game Pass grows in the last quarter of the year when COD: BO 6, Indiana Jones, Stalker 2 and others hit the service day one.

I don't have an Xbox One or Series but I did have an OG Xbox & 360.

Now from the outside looking in & as a gamer for quite a while now I just don't like the idea of "rental" & online requirement with Game Pass.

Ownership is a top priority for me so I avoid online-only games like plaque.

I'm assuming Game Pass is like Netflix of videogames right?

So that's my two cents on that.

Having said that I've always been Halo & Master Chief supefan so I genuinely hope Microsoft get their act together & rebuild their flagship icon before it's too late.

Back