• Join the Insider Gaming Forums for your chance to win a new PS5 Pro!

Voiced Protagonist or no…

Do you prefer a silent or voiced protagonist?

• Voiced

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Silent

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

SoloDolo

I recently started a Far Cry 6 playthrough and comparing it to 5 I love having a voiced protagonist so much more.

I get bored if the playable character is voiceless in single player games. Starfield is another recent example. I wish the character was voiced.

But I think there’s some who prefer a silent protagonist especially in an rpg with dialogue choices.

What’s your preference?

I don't mind either. It depends on how good the writing is. That said, Fallout 4 was a pretty nice change up. I'd love a remake of New Vegas and 3 with voiced protags

I recently started a Far Cry 6 playthrough and comparing it to 5 I love having a voiced protagonist so much more.

I get bored if the playable character is voiceless in single player games. Starfield is another recent example. I wish the character was voiced.

But I think there’s some who prefer a silent protagonist especially in an rpg with dialogue choices.

What’s your preference?
I'm a huge souls guy, so I prefer no voice! This is a good question though.

I don't mind either. It depends on how good the writing is. That said, Fallout 4 was a pretty nice change up. I'd love a remake of New Vegas and 3 with voiced protags
A lot of people hated on the Fallout 4 character being voiced, but that took it to another level for me too. Absolutely love that game.

I prefer no voice, but there's definitely games that feel lacking without it. The genres I tend to play the most would be markedly worse and less individualistic with voiced though, so I'm more than a little biased.

Yeah I agree voiced characters are so much better. I know the point is that you play as an avatar rather than a character but i'm definitely more immersed when I play as a fleshed out character and believe i'm him in the game than if I play as an empty shell. Best of both worlds (in some games) is choice heavy games with fully acted dialogue i.e. CP2077

What’s your preference?
Definitely changes depending on the game. A silent Arthur Morgan or a Dovahkiin who won't stop yapping both seem like awful ideas.

If it's a character I think a voice behind them definitely helps, whereas if "you're" the protagonist (RPG's etc.) the no voice really does leave more to your own imagination and bolster that feeling of charting your own course.

Back