• Join the Insider Gaming Forums for your chance to win a new PS5 Pro!

PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution (PSSR, AI Upscaling) Analysis and Impressions thread

Trailerfan

Registered
This thread aims to analyse and gather impressions for PS5 Pro's AI Upscaling solution PSSR.
So far we have early impressions from Digital Foundry's dark1x on FF7 Rebirth, calling it much better looking than the game's Quality mode on Base PS5 (that mode runs the game at near Native 4K in Quality mode).

Beyond that looking at the reveal stream (taken from high bitrate capture), you can see how PSSR also pushes beyond Quality mode a decent bit in the examples provided, with the PS5 Pro mode being much sharper and more detailed on the low wall on the left of the image, and the motor fans on the vehicle are sharper too. In general PS5 Quality looks softer while Pro looks sharp and detailed. PS5s quality mode for Ratchet and Clank usually runs between 1800p and native 4k for comparison.
image.png

Both examples are running at 60fps on PS5 Pro while at the few examples weve seen surpassing quality mode on PS5 at 30fps with superior sharpness and detail, an effect we've seen attributed to DLSS2 upscaling in the past.
Early impressions are quite good.

I'll try to update as we get more impressions and more analysis is done.

Yep as that technical showcase didn't do the PS5 Pro justice and the PS5/PS5 Slim does also need games to make more people interested in it as there has been some good games released so far but I know that Sony can do better so I need them to wow us ASAP!

Wonder if there'd be new Bravias or other Sony TVs they're gonna be releasing to coincide with this AI tech tho?

I mean I'm no techie but I'm guessing TV tech should go hand in hand with the console right?

Honestly mine's only 1080p still so I haven't taken the 4K plunge.

Thoughts on this dude?

Wonder if there'd be new Bravias or other Sony TVs they're gonna be releasing to coincide with this AI tech tho?

I mean I'm no techie but I'm guessing TV tech should go hand in hand with the console right?

Honestly mine's only 1080p still so I haven't taken the 4K plunge.

Thoughts on this dude?
No not this year but something will probably be shown during CES 2025... Which should be some time in January 2025. But yeah I do expect some new 4K and 8K TV's and monitors from Sony soon!

Should I save up for 4K or 8K then dude?

I mean is there really a big difference with these two?

Thanks!
I mean if you can afford a 8K TV then yes... If not just make sure it's a 4K OLED or QD-OLED TV that has 3-4 HDMI 2.1 ports that has the full bandwidth which is 48 GBPS and it's not only 1-2 of the HDMI 2.1 ports that can do it as well as other stuff like 120 Hz, VRR, ALLM, HDR-10 @ 1000 nits brightness, it been 55" at least and has some decent gaming features as well which Sony, LG or Samsung TV's do usually have... Other than that so will you be good to go!

Back