• Join the Insider Gaming Forums for your chance to win a new PS5 Pro!

Playstation 5 Pro price in Brazil, and the general gaming situation here.

Gamnate

Registered
Okay, so for those in the US who think the PS5 Pro price is outrageous (not saying it isn't), allow me to show you what it's like to be a gamer here:
So, first and foremost, the minimum wage here in Brazil is R$1.412,00 monthly, which translates to $249,00 US dollars. This salary is sadly NOT uncommon here, though it is not my reality or of those around me, thankfully.
A PS5 right now costs around R$3.500,00, which is roughly $620,00 US dollars. So, in order to buy a Playstation 5 here in Brazil, you would have to work 2,5 months on minimum wage to afford one, of course putting aside any living costs and whatnot. In comparison, a PS5 Pro should launch at around R$6.000,00 (likely more), which would pump the workdays to afford one to around 4,3 months. That's not even counting the price of games, which do not have regional pricing and launch at a standard of R$350,00 (again, the minimum wage is RS1.412,00).

In my case, I still have a PS4 Pro that I bought back in 2019. A few reasons that I haven't upgraded are that the PS5 didn't have any exclusives that enticed me to get one, and the other was that I knew a PS5 Pro was bound to happen. Sadly, now there are games that I would love to play, such as AstroBot, Alan Wake 2, and that little game called GTA 6 that should release next year.
Honestly, I did not expect console prices to get to the point that they are here to Brazil. Gaming in general feels impossibly expensive for most people, and that truly saddens me as someone who loves gaming since I was a child. I don't think I can justify spending that much on a hobby, especially as a student, and I believe that's the reality of most gamers here.

So, that's it. Would love to hear your perspectives!

Really feeling that sentiment about gaming feeling impossibly expensive for most. It was hard enough to justify buying a PS4 7 years ago at that price point - now with the economy as it is and facing down basically double the price for a Pro is just not feasible for me, and I feel that's the majority's sentiment.

I feel like this is going to be a big turning point for gaming companies - the PS5 Pro is either going to be another PS3 nightmare and scare everyone into more reasonable prices, or it's going to set a pricing standard going forward. I hope it isn't the latter. :/

Honestly, it's similar here in South Africa. The PS5 here is R13000 ($720) for the disc one. Minimum wage is R4500 ($250).

Problem is our govt is corrupt AF. Anything imported, especially electronics gets hit with high duties.

Tell this to the gamer from Bangladesh. It's from South Asia. Here, we earn 150 dollars on average.

We can buy a PS5 for 550 dollars. So, we need to save approximate 4 months of salary to afford a PS5.

Back