• Join the Insider Gaming Forums for your chance to win a new PS5 Pro!

Does the future of gaming look like it may rely on upscalers such DLSS, AMD FSR and has optimization in games have been poor recently?

Chrismercury

Registered
Looking at PC gaming now and console gaming in 2024 a lot of the hardware is dependent on AI up scalers especially on consoles as it seems some of these games don’t simply have enough power to deal with some of these triple A games. Also, has optimization in general for games been pretty bad? I see that GOWR runs so goods and looks so perfect compared to Black Myth that has a lot of ghosting and cannot keep a stable 60fps. On the PC side I see that RE4 can look and preform amazing on even low to mid hardware. I’m new to the gaming space so I wanted to ask the Insider gaming community their opinions.

(Apologies if the questions badly written I am terrible at writing)

Part of the problem is that developers haven't gotten use to modern APIs which require Developers more care Vs DX11 and before which handled a lot more stuff. It's the reason of stuff like shader stutter is a huge problem, shaders in DX11 etc handled that stuff but now with DX12U the developers need to thoroughly accomodate it.

I think in the coming years we will see more and more of ai upscalers being used in gaming and consoles in particular will rely on them a lot, but I know for sure there will come a time where machines are so powerful that we achieve resolutions that would barely benefit from any sort of upscaling. I think it's a technology (when it comes to gaming of course) that is bound to die eventually

Looking at PC gaming now and console gaming in 2024 a lot of the hardware is dependent on AI up scalers especially on consoles as it seems some of these games don’t simply have enough power to deal with some of these triple A games. Also, has optimization in general for games been pretty bad? I see that GOWR runs so goods and looks so perfect compared to Black Myth that has a lot of ghosting and cannot keep a stable 60fps. On the PC side I see that RE4 can look and preform amazing on even low to mid hardware. I’m new to the gaming space so I wanted to ask the Insider gaming community their opinions.

(Apologies if the questions badly written I am terrible at writing)
Yes

It is easier for developers to use upscalers than to spend months of development time optimizing a game, unfortunately.
This!

I hope it's not only done this way though... But we'll see what happens in the future and hopefully so will it be done the right way!

This!

I hope it's not only done this way though... But we'll see what happens in the future and hopefully so will it be done the right way!
Luckily there are still optimized games. Nvidia has shared benchmarks of God of War Ragnarok and the results are pretty good in my opinion. Almost 60 fps with a RTX 4070 at 4K and max settings with DLSS off.

god-of-war-ragnarok-geforce-rtx-3840x2160-nvidia-dlss-3-desktop-gpu-performance.png

AI Super Sampling, Frame or Ray Reconstruction is here to stay.
Insane potential and it only will get better and better and better.

AI Super Sampling, Frame or Ray Reconstruction is here to stay.
Insane potential and it only will get better and better and better.
I agree on this, but I think the ideal use of these technologies should be complemented with a good base performance to achieve high refresh rates at high resolution, with an almost imperceptible loss of quality.

I agree on this, but I think the ideal use of these technologies should be complemented with a good base performance to achieve high refresh rates at high resolution, with an almost imperceptible loss of quality.
Agree. I'm not deep into graphics tech. I just hope the devs and hardware manufactories are working together to utilize this tech.

Back