• Join the Insider Gaming Forums for your chance to win a new PS5 Pro!

Does anyone like the Modern Ubisoft Story model?

SleepyAgent

Registered
Like seriously, I don't get why this model of story telling is something that Ubisoft has decided to weld itself to.

For those who don't know what I am talking about, it is basically that the story needs to play out as open ended as possible. So instead of chapters with a narrative flow, you have blocks.

Take Assassin's Creed Valhalla for instance. Each block could be seen as an "arc" that have their own mini-story. But because you often have a lot of arcs available at once, none of the arcs can push the narrative along or really do much as they need to be disconnected enough so that they can be experienced in any order. It often leads to the games feeling like they're not really going anywhere as it can't really. Eventually the game will feed you a narratively significant block that will move the story along, but they're so few and far between that I often just don't care anymore.

I loved the narratives of the old Assassin's Creed games, as well as Far Cry, and Splinter Cell. Ubisoft were capable of crafting interesting stories that gripped me throughout. Now the story and plot of their games feel like they're present because they have to be.

Even going back as recent as Origins, this model was present, but done far better with fewer "Blocks" that allows for a more cohesive story to play out.

I honestly can't remember when was the last time I loved playing a Ubi game. It's just all so mediocre. Story and characters have been big misses for me. After Valhalla I just wrote them off completely

I think they'd better just set everything aside in terms of modern day missions and make a modern day game instead of whatever it is they're doing now, cause they're clearly making stuff up as they go and it's not going anywhere because they don't want to end the franchise. Besides it's been at a low point since Desmond which was more than a decade ago. Every since then the modern day segments have been anecdotic at best and layla was so terrible that they should've just stuck to the black flag/rogue format which was at least sort of interesting

Back