• Join the Insider Gaming Forums for your chance to win a new PS5 Pro!

Ubisoft Workers Encouraged To Strike Over Return To Office Mandate

Mike Straw

Senior Editor
Staff member
After the company announced a return to office mandate for all employees, STJV has called for Ubisoft employees to strike.

Read the full article here...

Ubisoft.jpg

and simply cannot return to the previous working conditions,”

Huh..... Did they think out of office work was going to be an think for the rest of their days?

There's a lot in the article to not agree with or like.

A formal agreement on remote work, so they want it set that they work from home and for that they want an increase in pay and they are using blackmail about losing people and the psychological risks on people to help their claim.

I have friends who work in Ubisoft and it wasn't talked about or anything like that. It was basically "Hi, so we're changing this"

It's not even the first time either and when the last change was mandated (Every Tuesday is a mandatory day) the HR teams on the call with my friends admitted that there was no actual evidence used to suggest this change.

Huh..... Did they think out of office work was going to be an think for the rest of their days?

There's a lot in the article to not agree with or like.

A formal agreement on remote work, so they want it set that they work from home and for that they want an increase in pay and they are using blackmail about losing people and the psychological risks on people to help their claim.
The thing is with Remote / Hybrid work is that people agree to the contract and then start to plan their life and such around their immediate circumstances. People buy houses, get pets, etc.

If my employer suddenly turned around said "Okay, we're all going to work in office work 3 days a week" out of the blue, it would throw things into disarray for me too.

Surely they had to expect that one day they'd be asked to return to office working?
Post covid that was the expectation. But it didn't happen. They actually told their workers they were moving to hybrid option that asked them to be in office 2 days a week (for most studios / offices) and people were happy with that.

Then, last year out of the blue, it changed it 2 days a week but one of your days must be Tuesday.

Now it has apparently changed to 3 days and you must be in Tuesday and Thursday.

You can't really tell your workforce something fundamental to the way the teams operate and have operated for the past 3 years is now being retired, for no reason.

Im guessing, now... guessing that in those contracts there will be some stipulation to them changing things up whenever they see fit. Companies always leave these things to allow them wiggle room. Contracts of employment are for the benefit of a company rather than the employee they cover, sadly.

In my, uneducated, mind companies lowering overheads with people out of the office seems logical but there has to be valid reasons they want people back in an office environment.

The union in this one seem to be going about it wrong though. We dont want to come into the office, oh and we want more money for that too. The gaming industry seems to just dump people at the drop of a hat. Not sure this attitude will help.. but I know nothing and just commenting from the outside really.

Back