• Join the Insider Gaming Forums for your chance to win a new PS5 Pro!

Microsoft to Lay Off 650 More Employees at Xbox

Tom Henderson

Administrator
Staff member
Xbox's Phil Spencer has announced in an internal email to staff that Microsoft will lay off approximately 650 people from its gaming team.

Read the full article here...

microsoft-layoffs-1155x770.jpg

Its tough, these companies seem to be making so much money left right and center and jobs just go like that. Hopefully those that lose their jobs are ones that voluntarily get to go.

The ugly side of the greedy push to secure CoD for Game Pass.

Xbox were able to fly relatively unbothered by Microsoft as a whole, but their spending habits over the last few years of buying up so many properties has basically ensured that Microsoft are now fully paying attention.

I suspected that there'd be a human cost, because how does Xbox justify spending $75.4 billion dollars and then needing to pay the staff that work at these companies on top of this.

Nothing but IP mining.

The ugly side of the greedy push to secure CoD for Game Pass.

Xbox were able to fly relatively unbothered by Microsoft as a whole, but their spending habits over the last few years of buying up so many properties has basically ensured that Microsoft are now fully paying attention.

I suspected that there'd be a human cost, because how does Xbox justify spending $75.4 billion dollars and then needing to pay the staff that work at these companies on top of this.

Nothing but IP mining.
A bit more than that. Xbox would ahve been axed sooner or later but phil spencer untarruraly tried to make it valuable buy buying a bunch of studios making gaming a more important part of microsoft.

The service was growing but slowly. The buyouts made the xbox divisoon look more valuable on paper though.

The revenue they make from xbox now is high, it is their 3rd highest division at this point hogher than windows 11. Windows. Man windows.

Xbox as a serivce was not "Xbox were able to fly relatively unbothered by Microsoft as a whole", it was always at the risk of getting canned after the xbox one, phil spencer just convinced sataya to not shut it all down, which I think sataya liked in the end. I'm guessing they thought the best way to run xbox was to turn it onto a service like their other products not hardware.

Last edited:
What I don't get is whenever MS acquires a studio i.e. Rare, Bethesda, Activision, etc. why do they fire people?

Shouldn't it be the opposite? That they gotta need more humann resources so they can make new games with their now-extensive list of acquired IPs?

Either way this is not positive news at all especially to those who are directly affected by the layoffs.

Back