• Join the Insider Gaming Forums for your chance to win a new PS5 Pro!

PS5 Disc Drive Is Selling Out After PS5 Pro Announcement

Mike Straw

Senior Editor
Staff member
After the announcement of the PS5 Pro on Tuesday, the PS5 Disc Drive is now selling out at various online retailers.

Read the full article here...

ec940be2cf0740fd67c35af7a1bff97cdb6ecf26.jpg

I found it hilariously optimistic that some people were hoping the backlash on pricing and lack of consumer enthusiasm would lead Sony to lower the price of the PS5 Pro; but clearly there is demand, or at the very least scalpers anticipate there will be enough demand to make it worth their time. So don't expect any kind of discount/sale anytime soon.

Unless the disc drives were in incredibly short supply?

I found it hilariously optimistic that some people were hoping the backlash on pricing and lack of consumer enthusiasm would lead Sony to lower the price of the PS5 Pro; but clearly there is demand, or at the very least scalpers anticipate there will be enough demand to make it worth their time. So don't expect any kind of discount/sale anytime soon.

I can't imagine they have a lot of stock for the disc drives as they're really only for folks who're wanting to add that option onto their new slim digital PS5 model.

It is a MASSIVE oversight to not include an option with a disc drive in the box, even if it was just the mountable drive that you set up yourself.

I feel like the people complaining are a loud majority. Most people will see a new ps5 coming out and just buy it without caring about the price.

I just wonder how much of the disc drive sales is people actually wanting one vs scalpers trying shore them up to overcharge when the PS5 Pro launches

I just wonder how much of the disc drive sales is people actually wanting one vs scalpers trying shore them up to overcharge when the PS5 Pro launches
I feel like the percentage of actual, everyday people buying them up is almost definitely the minority compared to scalpers.

It will be restock, also it isn't necessary to be able to use the console right away
Yeah I do see that happening and exactly it can wait... But like I said so will I get one at some point as I think it's still useful whether we're talking games, movies, anime or whatever you want to use it for!

Back